This version of the UTV Trails mobile app brings a slew of new features, performance improvements, and bug fixes. It took us a couple months to get it ready, and it only took our BETA testers an hour to start crashing it. With their help we’ve resolved the known issues. We’re proud to bring you what we think is the best release we’ve put together yet.
We use a third party to provide our map tiles and the engine one which those run. This engine supports the code we write for everything from drawing the trail lines on the map, to adding waypoint markers, to offline mapping and more. To date, we’ve been on version 5 of their engine which even they would tell you, simply wasn’t up to snuff. They have made great strides and recently release version 6 of their engine. Most of this release stems around rebuilding all of our trail displays, waypoint displays, offline mapping, current location indicator, etc… Their new engine is much more performant, and allowed us to even add a couple new features!
There are simply too many to list, but we spent a lot of effort eliminating existing bugs. As with any software release, us, and our BETA testers combined can’t possibly test every scenario, so while we’re sure there are some unknown bugs still lingering about, we’re ready to tackle them as they show up. We’re confident that this release is a massive improvement over previous versions. We’re sure you’ll agree.
*Rubs his hands together* let’s get to the nitty gritty! Here’s what you’ve been waiting for! We’ve packed in a number of new features in this release, and just can’t wait to tell you about them, so let’s get right into it!
You can now share your location with other riders in the UTV Trails mobile app! You have the option of sharing with everybody, or entering your own private channel name to share with those you want to see you on the map.
Some things you need to know about location sharing:
- Anybody can share their location at any time.
- Only paid subscribers can view other riders locations.
- The rider vehicle icon on the map is pointed in the last known heading of that rider.
- Location updates are not shared when the app goes into the background.
- Location updates only live for one hour, so if you stop using the app, your location will no longer be shared. Your last location will disappear after one hour. If you disable location sharing, even your last location will stop being shared.
- While in a secret channel, you will still be able to see those who are sharing with everybody. In a future release we will give the ability to filter so that you ONLY see those in your channel.
- Location sharing works by sending your location to our server. The only way you can communicate with our server is while you have internet connectivity. For that reason, location sharing only works while you have service. HOWEVER, enabling location sharing will send your updates whenever you come online, so if you’re in spotty coverage, it may still be useful for periodic updates.
Significant Waypoint Additions
- We’ve made some significant changes to waypoints.
- Waypoints were never shared before. They are now. You can see other rider’s waypoints on the map immediately.
- Mark your waypoints as Private. Private waypoints will not be shared with anybody.
- Paid Subscribers that download an offline map region will also automatically download other riders Waypoints in addition to other riders Trails.
- Long Press anywhere on the map to drop a waypoint. No longer limited by your current location.
Previously, when you would zoom out to a certain level, the app would stop displaying trails. This was a failsafe to prevent transferring too much data and bogging down the servers for everyone. In practice, this made for a poor experience and significant difficulty finding trails. Thanks to the map provider’s engine upgrades. We can now cluster trails together by only sending you the center coordinate for a trail when zoomed out. This solves the issue with bogging down the server and provides for a fantastic user experience. We love this feature, and are SO excited to finally be able to bring it to you.
While Sponsored Waypoints have always existed in the app, they have always been minimal, and under-utilized. We have built out the system to actually make them useful. Now vendors can purchase a small waypoint on the map. Additionally you can dive in and get specific details for that vendor, including a phone number that you can tap to dial, a link you can tap to visit their website, and a button you can tap for driving directions. This is great for those times when you’re out riding and need a part. Find a vendor close who is willing to support the UTV Trails community, and support them back!
As always has been the case, Paid Subscribers can disable Sponsored Waypoints.
Vendors interested in Sponsored Waypoints: Use the Contact Us form to submit an inquiry.
Follow Me Mode
Previously, the map would only follow you when in recording mode. Now the default behavior is following mode. If you pan the map away, it will exit follow me mode until you tap the center button on the menu again.
Customize Toolbar Size
Bouncing down a rocky road, good luck tapping those menu icons on the left of the map. Now there are three sizes to choose from to make easier tap surfaces. Tablets default to the largest. This can be changed in the Settings menu at your choosing.
You already got a sneak peak of the basic Rider Profiles in the Location Sharing section above. We have also added this to the Waypoint Details view and the Trail Details view. We’re going to continue to improve on this in the coming releases with more ability to personalize your profile and mobile app experience, this is just the first step!
You read that right. The app was approved by both App Stores as I am concluding this post. By the time this post is live, you’ll be able to find it in the App Store and Play Store. If you love it, we appreciate positive App Store and Play Store reviews! If you don’t, hit that Contact link in the top right and let us know how we can make it better! See you on the trails, and Ride Smart!